0161 761 3638

Housing Disrepair

Your landlord has a legal duty to ensure your home is kept in a good state of repair.

This applies equally whether you are renting from a private landlord, a housing association or a local authority.

Your landlord is responsible for:

  • the structure and exterior of the building, including the walls, stairs and bannisters, roof, external doors and windows
  • sinks, baths, toilets and other sanitary fittings, including pipes and drains
  • heating and hot water
  • chimneys and ventilation
  • electrical wiring and gas pipes

Your landlord is also responsible for repairing the common parts of a building, such as entrance halls, communal stairways and shared kitchens.

If you live in a property which is in a state of disrepair and your landlord is refusing to rectify the problems then you may be entitled to take legal action to force them to do so and to compensate you for any damage to your or your family’s health or property.

Please call us on 0161 761 3638 or use our contact form to get in touch about how we can help you.